Sunday, December 14, 2014

1-day performance


I chose to become blind and mute for one day in order to become aware of  the struggles of people with physical disabilities have to face in society. Struggles such as integration, social stigma, education, or accessibility.   As a granddaughter with a healthy and independent grandfather,  it was very shoking to find out that my grandfather was diagnosed with liver cancer in his 84th birthday. As a side effect of his advanced cancer, three month later, he lost his sight and voice, , and this is that reason why I chose to become blind and mute for my one-day performance, and this is when he started facing his most difficult battle in society. This time I decided to face society by  keeping my eyes closed and my mouth shut and become physically incapacitated in order to experience and understand, from the perspective of a physically incapacitated person, the struggles of a person with physical disabilities has to go through every day in a society where people without any physical disability are preferred, in order to raise awareness in society. 

At my job, using signs and posters to communicate with a costumer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment